Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Waters and the Wild

Block, F. (2009). The waters & the wild. New York: HarperTeen. Thirteen year old Bee does not belong, or so she believes. She feels more at home in the garden than with other teens at school. She doesn’t have friends until she befriends two other outsiders and they begin helping her discover why she is seeing someone that looks just like her. This is a short book which makes for a quick read.  Honestly, I was glad it was a short book because it was a little odd to me. Feeling one with the earth and wanting to eat dirt are just traits I don't understand. I don't believe boys will enjoy this book at all. I think it's perfect for 14-18 year old girls. The novel has some fantasy traits also. Changelings are not usually discussed in contemporary realistic fiction. Even though the novel is a little different, the theme is very relatable. Have you ever felt like you didn't belong? I think we've all felt it at one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment